Back to the Blog
Which Renewable Energy Solution is Right for Your Business?
February 08, 2021
So, you’ve made the decision to choose renewable energy for your business. Congratulations and thank you for making a commitment to a greener environment! With a variety of options available to help you meet your sustainability and renewable energy goals, it can be challenging to know which solution is the best option for your business. As your trusted energy advisor, we’ll walk you through your options and help you make the right decision for your organization.
- Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). One of the simplest ways to purchase renewable energy for your business is enrolling in a REC-based energy plan, like AEP Energy’s Renewable Product Plan. A REC is the environmental attribute associated with the generation of one megawatt of renewable energy, typically wind energy. By purchasing a REC-based plan, you are supporting renewable electricity production without the cost or time commitment required of other green energy options. Additionally, you get to claim the environmental benefits associated with the RECs you purchase.
- This option is a good fit for: businesses that want a hassle-free way to use renewable energy for their business and don’t have the space or budget to implement alternative green options.
- Rooftop solar. If your organization has the space for rooftop solar, it’s a great way to ensure that clean energy is delivered directly to your business. Rooftop solar can sometimes require a larger up-front investment, but your business could benefit from tax credits or other incentives in the long run while reducing your carbon footprint in the process.
- This option is a good fit for: organizations that own their building and have large rooftops to support solar arrays and the budget to fund the upfront investment of installing solar.
- Community solar. This option could be the right fit for businesses that cannot support solar arrays on their property. According to Solar Energy Industries Association, community solar refers to local solar facilities that are shared by multiple community subscribers, including homes and businesses, that receive credit on their energy bills for their part of the power produced. This solution ensures the economic and environmental benefits of solar energy and ensures clean energy is delivered directly to your business.
- This option is a good fit for: organizations located in cities that participate in community solar and want a more direct impact than RECs.
There are many options available to small businesses interested in renewable energy. Our Energy Consultants are available to help guide you to make the best decision for your organization. If you’re looking for a simple and hassle-free approach to renewable energy, our Renewable Product Plan could be the right option for you. To speak with one of our Small Business Energy Consultants about this plan or other renewable options, click here. If you are a current customer and would like to discuss your renewal options, please call your Account Management Team at 1-888-924-7111.
AEP Energy makes no guarantee regarding the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, freedom from error, or value of this report or any information herein. The information presented is provided “as is”, “as available”, and for informational and illustrative purposes only. Neither this report nor any information herein should be construed as advice, a recommendation, or a guarantee of future results. The customer assumes the entire risk related to its use of any information presented herein, and whether or how the customer utilizes any such information is entirely the customer’s responsibility. AEP Energy disclaims any and all liabilities and warranties of whatever kind or nature related hereto, including any obligation to update or correct the information provided herein.