Back to the Blog
What to Do When a Supplier Approaches You About Your Energy
July 15, 2019
There are many retail energy suppliers within deregulated
states that are eager to supply your business’ energy. However, if you’re
already signed with an energy supplier, like AEP Energy, it can be difficult to
know what to do when another supplier approaches you with an offer for your
business. Here are a few things to keep in mind if that situation arises:
- Check your energy bill to verify you have an energy supplier. To do this, look for a separate line item listed for your energy supply. As an AEP Energy customer, you’ll always see our logo on your bill.
- If you’re interested in learning more about another supplier’s offer, gather the information they’re providing you. Make sure to verify all cost components included in the rate and ask for a copy of their terms and conditions so you can understand exactly what the offer entails. Don’t verbally agree or sign anything until you’re confident in the offer, have discussed it with your current supplier and understand all the conditions.
- Contact our Account Management Team. We’ll look at the proposed rate and conditions and assess whether it’s an offer that could benefit your business, as well as look at your current AEP Energy agreement. We’ll check to make sure there aren’t any unwelcome surprises attached to the other supplier’s offer, for example a low rate for the first few months and then significantly increasing your rate afterwards.
- Rest assured – our Account Management Team will make a recommendation based on what’s best for you, even if that means losing your business as an AEP Energy customer at the end of your contract. We’re committed to your success, whether that means being on AEP Energy’s supply or not.
- Let your employees know that you’ve already selected an energy supplier. That way, if other energy suppliers stop by your business they can let them know.
- Keep an eye out for municipal aggregation notifications. If you’d prefer to stay with AEP Energy as your energy supplier, make sure to opt-out.
If you’d like assistance determining the best energy supply
option for you, contact your AEP Energy Account Manager, call 888-924-7111 or