Back to the Blog
Benefits of Renewable Energy
April 28, 2020
Going green is becoming increasingly popular, but are there really benefits to using renewable energy? Yes! In this blog, we are going to explore some of the reasons why it’s good for you and the environment to go green.
What is renewable energy?
Renewable energy comes from natural sources that are infinite and constantly replenished, like sunlight and wind. These types of energy are considered renewable because their source is basically an endless supply, though it may be contingent upon factors like weather or time of day.
There are many types of renewable energy suitable for residential use.
- Solar Energy – Solar cells capture the sun’s rays and transform sunlight directly into electricity
- Wind Energy – Turbines harness the wind, which turns the blades, creating energy
- Biomass Energy – Biomass energy is generated from an organic renewable energy source with materials, such as agriculture and forest residues, crops and algae
- Geothermal Energy – Wells drilled deep into the earth bring steam and hot water to the surface, which is then pumped through a turbine to generate electricity. Geothermal technology can be used to keep homes cool in the summer and warm in the winter by using the constant temperature of the Earth
What are the benefits of renewable energy?
- Reducing our carbon footprint – According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), our carbon footprint can be reduced by purchasing renewable energy.
- Environmental health – a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions improves air quality, which is good for the environment and makes the air we breathe cleaner.
- Financial health – one of the most effective ways to decrease your carbon footprint is to become more energy efficient, which over time could lower your energy costs. Read our blogs to learn how to make your home more energy-efficient!
How can I reduce my carbon footprint? There are several ways from simple to significant that can effectively reduce your greenhouse gas emissions.
- Reduce waste
- Use energy-efficient products like those found in AEP Energy Reward Store®
- Choose renewable energy options such as enrolling in a green energy plan for your home
For more tips on reducing your carbon footprint, check out our blog.
How can I go green with renewable energy?
- Enroll in a renewable energy plan – As an environmentally friendly alternative to traditional electricity plans, we offer ECO-Advantage®, which matches 100% of your electricity usage with national Green-e® Energy certified wind Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). Just as environmentally responsible as recycling or practicing water conservation methods, selecting a green electricity supply plan for your home can also make a positive impact to the environment and does not require the purchase of equipment or additional costs.
AEP Energy does not guarantee the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, freedom from error, or value of any information herein. The information presented is provided “as is”, “as available”, and for informational purposes only, speaks only to events or circumstances on or before the date it is presented, and should not be construed as advice, a recommendation, or a guarantee of future results. AEP Energy disclaims any and all liabilities and warranties related hereto, including any obligation to update or correct the information herein. Summaries and website links included herein (collectively, “Links”) are not under AEP Energy’s control and are provided for reference only and not for commercial purposes. AEP Energy does not endorse or approve of the Links or related information and does not provide any warranty of any kind or nature related thereto.