The month of December is Safe Toys and Gifts month so we’d like to share some tips to ensure that you are aware of the potential harms associated with various popular toys. This holiday season we encourage you to do your research prior to purchasing gifts and consider the following guidelines when choosing safe toys for any age.
– Inspect all toys before you buy them to be sure that they don’t include any parts that shoot or fly off. Stay away from sharp edges or points that aren’t stable enough to withstand impact from being tossed around.
– Pay attention to age guidelines on packaging. These precautions are developed for a reason and should be taken into consideration prior to purchasing.
– Look for the “ATSM” label. “ATSM” means the toy has passed a safety inspection and meets American Society for Testing and Materials standards..
– Beware of lead in toys. Educate yourself about lead exposure from toys and potential symptoms of lead poisoning.
– Beware of toys with small parts that could easily be swallowed by young children. If the piece can fit inside a toilet paper roll, it’s not appropriate for kids under the age of three.
– Read warning signs and instructions and demonstrate how to use toys safely.
– Lastly, always keep an eye on children while they play to prevent any injury from happening.
We hope you found these safe toy and gift tips helpful, and that your holiday season is safe, merry, and bright!