Back to the Blog
What is the difference between AEP Energy and AEP Ohio?
March 11, 2014
Here at AEP Energy, we frequently visit communities throughout Ohio to explain electric choice and the savings benefits associated with it. Through these visits, particularly those areas that are served by the local utility, AEP Ohio, we have learned that many residents don’t always understand the difference between us and their local utility. To help you understand, we thought it would be beneficial to list some of the key distinctions between these two businesses and how simple it is to save money year-round on your electricity bills.
AEP Ohio: The electric utility
- AEP Ohio is an electric utility and a subsidiary of American Electric Power (AEP). AEP Ohio currently provides the three major components in providing electricity to homes and businesses within their service territory: generation (making the power), transmission (moving power across state lines) and distribution (your local utility).
- AEP Ohio customers are free to choose a competitive electricity supply provider (like AEP Energy) who supplies the generation and transmission portions of their electricity supply service.
- If you select an electricity supply provider, AEP Ohio will continue to deliver your electric service safely and reliably, provide maintenance and emergency services, read your meter and send you one bill.
- The rates that AEP Ohio charges to customers are preset and approved by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO).
AEP Energy: An electricity supply provider
- AEP Energy is a certified, Competitive Retail Electric Service provider and a subsidiary of AEP. We are also an affiliate of AEP Ohio.
- AEP Energy provides competitive electricity supply prices to residents and businesses in six states, including Ohio, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C.
- We produce our own electricity and sell it to customers at market-based prices rather than regulated rates offered by your local utility, AEP Ohio, resulting in more competitive pricing.
- Our power plant fleet generates approximately 40 million MW per year. That equates to powering over 3.25 million homes per year.
- Other price options available include AEP Energy’s ECO-Advantage Electricity Plan, which is emission-free 100% wind and Green-e® certified.
In summary, if you choose AEP Energy as your electricity supplier, you’re only buying the electricity supply from us. AEP Ohio will continue to deliver your electric service, read your meter and send you one bill with our charges listed on a separate line item.
Get in on the savings!
AEP Energy saved our Ohio customers over $12 million last year alone. So, if you haven’t made the switch to AEP Energy, we encourage you to get in on the savings and check out our low price offers.