Back to the Blog
Zero Emissions Day – Reducing My Carbon Footprint
September 09, 2020
On September 21st, 2008, the environmental challenge known as Zero Emissions Day, or “ZeDay”, began. This world-wide movement aims to encourage the use of renewable energy sources and to “give the planet a day off” from emissions.
Simple ways to participate:
- Ride your bike or walk instead of driving, but if you must, consider carpooling or taking the bus
- Purchase food from your local farmers market. Locally produced items do not have to travel on planes, busses or trains to get to you
- Purchase used pre-owned items (like a table or lamp), and reuse and recycle items from your home
- Minimize your use of electricity unless it is from a renewable source
- Make it fun by cooking over a fire and enjoying outdoor activities
Does reducing emissions really make an impact?
The Environmental Protection Agency has developed a Greenhouse Gases Equivalencies Calculator which shows the equivalencies for energy-related emissions reductions so each individual can see their impact as it relates to their lifestyle. Some of the different categories include:
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions from:
- Number of passenger vehicles driven for one year
- Miles driven by an average passenger vehicle
- CO2 Emissions from:
- Gallons of gasoline consumed
- Homes’ energy use for one year
- Propane cylinders used for home barbecues
- Number of smartphones charged
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions avoided by:
- Tons of waste recycled instead of landfilled
- Wind turbines running for a year
- Incandescent lamps switched to LED
- Carbon Sequestered by:
- Tree seedlings grown for ten years
- Acres of US forests preserved from conversion to cropland in one year
How can I go green?
AEP Energy offers environmentally-friendly alternatives to traditional electricity plans like solar options with AEP Energy Solar Marketplace, as well as ECO-Advantage®, which matches 100% of your electricity usage with national Green-e® Energy certified, wind Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) and Reward Store where you can find energy-efficient and connected-home products which help reduce energy spend, emissions and can save you money! Find a renewable plan that’s right for you!
AEP Energy does not guarantee the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, freedom from error, or value of any information herein. The information presented is provided “as is”, “as available”, and for informational purposes only, speaks only to events or circumstances on or before the date it is presented, and should not be construed as advice, a recommendation, or a guarantee of future results. AEP Energy disclaims any and all liabilities and warranties related hereto, including any obligation to update or correct the information herein. Summaries and website links included herein (collectively, “Links”) are not under AEP Energy’s control and are provided for reference only and not for commercial purposes. AEP Energy does not endorse or approve of the Links or related information and does not provide any warranty of any kind or nature related thereto.