Back to the Blog
Prepare Your Business for Summer
April 24, 2019
As temperatures begin to rise, it’s a great time to begin thinking about preparing your business for summer. Before blasting your air conditioning to beat the summer heat, consider the following tips as ways to improve energy efficiency for the warmer months.
- Seal cracks and openings to prevent summer air from leaking in. After running the air conditioning to keep your building cool, the last thing you want is warm air creeping in. Identify potential problem spots and use caulk or weather-stripping to seal leaky windows or doors.
- Rotate your ceiling fan blades. If you have a ceiling fan in your building, make sure the blades are rotating counter-clockwise. This moves the air down towards the ground, pushing cool air back down.
- Change your air filters. Swapping out your air filters not only provides cleaner air for your employees and customers, but it helps with energy efficiency. According to the Department of Energy, replacing a dirty or clogged filter with a clean one can reduce your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 5 to 15 percent1.
- Upgrade to LED lighting. LED lights emit much less heat than traditional bulbs. According to the Department of Energy, incandescent bulbs release 90% of their energy as heat2. Making the switch to LEDs could reduce the temperature of your building, resulting in less air conditioning that needs to be used.
- Give your air conditioning a tune up. It’s a good idea to schedule annual maintenance on your HVAC system. A technician will be able to clean your system and perform any maintenance updates needed to keep everything running smoothly.
- Block or reduce direct sunlight with blinds or curtains. Sunlight is great for providing natural light, but it brings heat with it. If you notice that sunlight streaming into your building is making your business a little too warm, consider investing in film or screens for your windows.
- Consider upgrading to a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats can help create an ideal environment for your business by automatically adjusting cooling and heating temperatures to your preferences. Managing your building’s temperature is a great way to practice energy efficiency.
To learn more about AEP Energy product plans that can help your business become more energy efficient, contact the Small Business Solutions Account Management Team at 1-888-924-7111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AEP Energy does not guarantee the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, freedom from error, or value of any information herein. The information presented is provided “as is”, “as available”, and for informational purposes only, speaks only to events or circumstances on or before the date it is presented, and should not be construed as advice, a recommendation, or a guarantee of future results. AEP Energy disclaims any and all liabilities and warranties related hereto, including any obligation to update or correct the information herein. Summaries and website links included herein (collectively, “Links”) are not under AEP Energy’s control and are provided for reference only and not for commercial purposes. AEP Energy does not endorse or approve of the Links or related information and does not provide any warranty of any kind or nature related thereto